For a larger picture and more information about the particular scope, click on the thumbnail.
This scope design was inspired by Georgia on the KBKB Yahoo forum - she covers the mirrors directly with polymerclay to secure them. That's what I did for the initial layer and then I did my final sculpted layer.
The wheel for this scope is also almost entirely polymer clay. I used pearlex powders, jones tones foils, patterned and sculpted clay. I also added a couple pearls and gemstone chips as accents.
This was inspired by ancient cliff dwellings. The body was covered with faux sandstone, textured, sculpted and antiqued. This is a two mirror, 7 point kaleidoscope with magnifying lens. The object chamber contains various beads and glass pieces, including some dichroic glass. The entire chamber turns.
This is my second pendant scope with a rather different style. The object is a glass bead by Zen Art Glass which can be rotated on the wire axle. The neat thing about this scope is that the bead is interchangeable - you can remove one of the axle ends and slide on any other bead you like.
One side has an image from a J W Waterhouse painting titled "My Sweet Rose". Three dimensional roses adorn the other side to follow the theme.
This is the first wearable scope I've made. It's a two mirror (60 degree angle) scope. The mirrors are quite small, 1cm by 4cm. I used one of the mini lenses from polymerclayprojects.com - the focal length (at least for my eyes) was between 2 and 4.5 cm.
I kept the shape of the scope pretty basic for this first prototype. The swallow and orchid were created from molds of my own orignal sculpted designs. Once it was baked, I gave it a faux bronze look with acrylic paint.
I couldn't get the camera close enough to get all of the image but you can see most of it. There is no separate object chamber - the tiny beads actually move within the mirrors. This gives a great 3d effect since the image can move closer to you if you tilt the scope upwards. The only problem is that it's a bit dark without a strong light source - I'll need to add less objects or a side light if I use this design again.
This is the first mini scope I've made that I've cut my own mirrors. I was using a surplus lens that I bought from American Science & Surplus, which accounts for the unusual dimensions. The lens was quite large bur had a very short focal length. There are a number of things I could improve but I learned alot and am happy with it over all.
I sculpted and molded the dragon's eye. I liked the idea of a dragon's eye view and may do others with the same theme. The scope was made with white clay and tinted with alchol based inks.
I couldn't get the camera close enough to get much of the image, but it's a three mirror scope with small sead beads and bugle beads for the objects.
This is a scope that I made as a demo at the Klay Karma 2005 retreat in Massachusetts. (A great time, btw!)
This kaleidoscope was made from the Single Tube kit. The barrel was covered with a modified version of Mike Buessler's leaf resist technique. I covered the scope with black clay, then placed real leaves back side down (so the vein pattern would be pressed in) and brayered them in. I used gold, copper and bronze mica powders to cover the clay around the leaves. Then I carefully peeled up the leaves and used blue and green powders to cover the exposed leaf spaces. I also used a bit of sandpaper here and there to add additional texture. Once it was baked, I glazed it with Future, let it dry, and assembled the scope.
This is a two mirror 7 point kaleidoscope. I wanted to create the illusion of light filtering
down into the ocean depths. A sea turtle and seahorse can be seen on the far side of the scope.
The object cell is a dry cell but turns in its cradle. The polymer clay end caps fit well enough that I didn't need to glue them - they can be removed and the objects can be changed. The current image is formed from dichroic glass, shattered irridescent mosaic marbles, and varied glass beads. On this scope I lapped and chamfered the first surface mirrors.